We have lived in our current home since 1977 and though we've remodeled the entire house a couple of times, the kitchen cabintes are original. A few weeks ago I volunteered to re-work the cabinets and my wife jumped all over the idea. This is to be a winter project but I've decided to start a bit early by making the raised panel doors. I'll try to keep everyone updated on the progress (or lack thereof) through this blog. Below are the before pictures. The cabinets are maple and it is my desire to remove the maple fronts and replace them with oak and there will also be oak raised panel doors. The cabinet above the range will be totally remade because an over the range microwave will go there and the cabinet will be shorted. Instead of four doors there will be just two. Shift across the room to the cabinet above the refrigerator. It will also be remade to allow a taller side by side refrigerator/freezer. The shelving on the end above the refrigerator will be replaced by an angled RP door. Of course, there will be a new countertop whose color and material are with the designer (Dorothy). By the way, I took the picture without Dorothy's approval and that's why the alphabet is out of order on the front of the fridge.
Here's the Before:
I started the project over the weekend and as of today, August 6th, I have 6 doors completed. 6 down and 16 to go. I'll re-work the upper cabinets first and then move to the bottom. Here's the progress to date: Three doors standing and 3 in clamps. Please note that I'm waiting on a router bit to sculpt the door edges. There will be Blum concealed hinges all around.
This will come out of the clamps in the morning.
I want to give Gene Howe a shout out here. Gene supplied the router bits for the project at a superb price and I need to thank him a bunch. Also, he gave a little tip worth sharing. If you'll look in the slot where the panel lays you'll see some rubber spacers. Instead of buying the spacers Gene suggested that I use either rubber rope that you install screen in an aluminum screen door or spread silicone caulk on a pice of waxed paper and roll it up. I opted for the rubber rope trick. Works like a charm and still allows about 5/16 of the panel to be in the slot.
Well, that's today's report. Stay tuned.
Wednesday, August 8th:
I've going to do something that is either going to turn out brilliantly or it will be a big bust. There's a veneer plant just about ten miles from here and I can buy enough red oak veneer to re-face all of the cabinets for about $50. I'll still have to take them down but I think it may be quicker than rebuilding the faces. Timne will tell. I spoke with the plant manager today (its a small place) and when I explained what I wanted to do he told me that when I picked up the veneer he'd give me a tour of how they peel the veneer. If I can, I'll try to get some video of the operation.
Friday, August 24th
Well gang, I've been slow at posting but busy in the shop. I only have 2 more doors to make and 1 drawer. After that the fun starts. Fun if you like to veneer. I'll keep you posted.
August 31st - Here we are one month into the project and the doors are all made. Because of a space issue I could stain and finish all of the doors (24 of them) at one time so the picture you see is the loft of my woodshop and 12 of the doors. Showing is the back side of the door and it has one coat of Varathane on them. probably the next week will be spent on finishing.